Not only are poisonous plants dangerous to humans, but they are also very dangerous for animals as well. Poisonous plants result in hundreds of millions in losses every year as it pertains to cattle and sheep.
Every 15 seconds, 1 poison exposure is reported in the United States. While children under 6 years of age are more likely to be exposed, poisonous plants can cause serious and sometimes fatal reactions regardless of age.
Plants vary from country to country and region to region. If you’re living in Baton Rouge, there are quite a few poisonous plants to watch out for.
Check out our guide to learn about the most poisonous plants to watch out for.
Oleanders are beautiful, and they can survive some of the longest droughts. But they should be handled with care. Not only are the poisonous if consumed, but they are also irritating to the skin.
If you handle or prune oleanders, make sure you wear gloves. The sap can cause itching and inflammation. And don’t burn the cuttings! The smoke is extremely toxic and can cause anything from hallucinations to death.
2. Poison Oak, Ivy, and Sumac
One is a vine, one is a bush, and one is a shrub. What these super plants have in common is that they all contain the same ingredient — urushiol. Because of this active ingredient, they all cause allergic contact dermatitis when they contact the skin.
You can even react if your dog ran by and brushed against one of these plants earlier, and then you go to pat that same spot.
3. Pokeberry and More
While the pokeberry plant does have poisonous berries, it’s the roots and lower stem of the plant that has the most concentration of oxalic acid phytolaccatoxin.
While most symptoms disappear within 24 to 48 hours, ingesting this plant can still be fatal. At best, exposure causes convulsions, cramping, and diarrhea.
When it comes to plants in Baton Rouge that may harm you as a result of contact or ingestion, there are too many to count. Here are some of the many deadly flowers and plants that you may find in Baton Rouge:
- Elephant ear
- Japanese yew
- Yellow jessamine
Even plants that aren’t considered to be poisonous may have a poisonous part. That’s why it’s so important to take the necessary precautions and seek help from a medical professional with a proven track record, should an accident happen.
The Most Poisonous Plants Aren’t the Only Ones to Worry About
Even though you may do everything in your power to eliminate poisonous plants on your property, remember that the most poisonous plants aren’t the only threats.
Familiar plants, like the foliage of potatoes, tomatoes, and rhubarb, are also toxic.
Teach your children from a very early age to never put any part of a plant in their mouths. Pay closer attention when mushrooms, berries, or flowers are around.
Some symptoms come on suddenly or don’t show up for hours. That’s why it’s so important to pay attention and to contact a medical professional immediately should you touch or ingest a plant that you’re unsure of.
If it’s an emergency, we are open day or night, 7 days a week, from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.